Thursday 2 May 2013

How Cricketers used to find out about the arrival of their children - Part 2

I'm no expert on child birth, but I can't imagine there would be anything more thrilling than receiving a photo of your partner having champagne poured on his head by Dean Jones in the minutes following an excruciating labour. Bonus points for Billy McDermott's shiner and the look of horror on Simon O'Donnell's face as he realizes that his iron-free chino's have been destroyed.

Compared to AB, Heals is an absolute softy, though. The only thing greater than the photo is the caption; "the wonders of modern technology" indeed.



4 comments:

  1. Who was the first Australian cricketer who had the temerity to return home in mid-tour for the birth of their child? I've got a vague memory it was Brett Lee but I may be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh will have to look into that, Bob. The one that really sticks in my mind is Adam Voges. The outcry that followed his decision was a mass display of impotent outrage perhaps only rivaled by "Kim Hughes the sook."

      Delete
  2. This is the best satirical article on cricket ( in fact anything) that I have read in the last year. Your hardwork in taking out the best bits of warner's timeline certainly showed. Will make sure I follow you from now on. Pardon my English, as an Indian it really is a third or even fourth language for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anon. I have total admiration for your relative mastery of English compared to some players. I struggle with my first language sometimes so I think you're doing a great job.

      Delete